Monday, December 13, 2010

BBTB2 Gnome for the Holidays


Happy Monday, everyone! Mine is gonna stink. I have a dentist's appointment that would have been just a routine cleaning but I added a filling replacement without realizing exactly what day or time it was. (The beauty of retirement.) Seriously, an 11:30 am appt. is the worst. Ruins your whole day, not to mention I'll be starved before my mouth feels normal enough to chew. That, along with the 2 other DT projects I need to get done and I'm SCREWED! Sorry, just had to vent. Of course I'm not even close to finishing my decorating. I could go on and on. At least I'll get this posted and you all can feel smug about your Monday which HAS to be better than mine.

Our gorgeous and multi talented Design Team Sister Julia chose the BBTB2 challenge this week; the wreath from Joys of the Season. She wrote a beautiful explanation of the symbolism of the wreath and what did I do? I stuck it on a garden gnome from Freshly Picked. OOPS! Sorry Julia! Had I known that, I would have done something far more elegant. LOL I made a shaped card in Cricut Design Studio by welding the shadow of the wreath and gnome and layered accordingly. The DP is Me & My Big Ideas and the card stock is Bazzil and Stampin' Up (thanks Lillie!) I just got a new Cuttlebug Cricut Companion folder set for Give a Hoot and that cool beard texture was part of the set and it's a 5x7 folder too. WooHoo! I just know I'm gonna be using this one alot. It didn't even sit unopened for one day!
Used a bit of Swiss Dots on his hat and booties too. Although most of this is inked with Faded Burlap Distressed ink, I used Copics on the wreath. It's a much easier way to add detail. His face and hands are colored with Copics too. Didn't have any flesh toned card stock. Not quite as much dimension as usual but it looks like more IRL.
Okay, I know the sentiment is cheesy, but I just couldn't help myself. A little note about the inside: When you're doing a bunch of layering on the outside, I feel stongly about balancing it inside with at least one mat. It help is stand up better and keeps it from feeling flimsy. In the case of a shaped card, I weld the regular cuts (not shadows) together to get an inside mat. (You may have to had some contours or fill in gaps with other shapes but it certainly adds the sturdiness you need. Then I matted the computer generated sentiment using my Nesties Labels One dies and inked the white one while it was still in the die. Now go see the gorgeous wreaths the rest of the Design Team created at BBTB2 and come play along. You may use any wreaths from any cartridge if you don't have Joys of the Season. P.S. I'm way behind on my commenting too so I have to apologize. Not sure when I'm gonna catch up, though (New Years?) Also apologize for the long post. Pretty darn wordy for someone who's got tons to get done! LATER!

31 comments:

  1. Hi Donna,
    What a fabulously sweet creation. I love that cute image.
    Hugs,
    Fiona x

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, Donna, he's so stinkin' cute! I just want to bite him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am feeling your pain about going to the dentist.. so sad I missed Saturday, (I did get to go to Monique's on Sunday) but was so looking forward to seeing you and Leah and everyone :-( hope you had fun. Super cute card, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another brilliant design, Donna. I just love that gnome so much but can't bring myself to get the cartridge just because I want the gnome. I'm here to make you feel better about your day. It could be worse...take my day for example. In the midst of a giant snow/ice storm I had a 8:00am appt. with an orthopedic dr. where I had to get cortisone shots into both wrists. I can't drive because of vison problems so my poor husband had to get up to drive me. A normal 20 minute drive took us 1 hr. 40 minutes and we saw 13 accidents. Then let's not forget how in the midst of the blizzard last night we lost our power and therefore our heat. The temperature right now at midday is 13 degrees. I have to go back to the hospital on Thursday for an EMG test and I will most likely being facing surgery which will cancel our plans to go to Florida for the winter. See, now don't you feel better. LOL Hugs and keep smiling! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic card! too cute, just love it. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cute and inventive! I love how you used the gnome...such a wonderful card!

    Hope your mouth gets un-numbed quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good grief Donna, this could not possibly be any CUTER! Love it to bits!

    (-: Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Ms. Donna (I say in my best southern accent), you have just wow'ed me again!!! I love that little Gnome and his herringbone jacket (!), and the card sentiment is soooo punny!! Cute, cute, cute!!

    xx Susan

    ReplyDelete
  9. He is so cute! Thank you for making this awesome card I think I'm going to make a gnome xmas card now LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This card is super cute! All of your creations are so cute and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Donna, this is just about THE cutest Gnome EVAHHH, ....so sorry about the dentist, hope you are feeling better now. I am off to give Jeri some love.
    Hugs
    Carole

    ReplyDelete
  13. VERY cute ! Love your little gnome and the sentiment it too funny !!!!
    Nice job,as usual ! Hugs !!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. another cutie with this one! I like the cheesy sentiment :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh how cute is this! You made him look so full of life. Sorry to hear about your day...going to the dentist is bad enough but when it messes up your whole day it's a real bummer!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is one adorable gnome! Very clever! I hope you are feeling better tonight.

    Hugs,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMGoodness, Donna! Could this be any cuter?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I LOVE this!!!! -Sam :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. thanks for the tips Donna, and I absolutely love the gnome and the cheesy sentiment ;p

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh this is sooo cute! I'm all for cheesy sentiments! ;)

    Hope you feel better soon....I hate it when I can't eat...I get cranky when I'm hungry! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, Donna.....great great card.....I just love it. Now I have to go get that cart! Not that mine would come out even close to your's but, heck, I'm gonna try!

    You always amaze me with your creations....

    Sorry about your tooth.....hope you feel better today!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think I need to "scraplift".....Gnomes have a special place in my heart (usually when they have a Cubs logo on their chest, LOL!) but this one is just adorable! Such a great "twist" on the wreath!
    Maria :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love this it's so cute!!!! I'm a big fan on gnomes! Great job
    Kitty

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh Donna, Another masterpiece! I so want this cart but haven't got it yet, I keep putting it off but I hope to get it before Spring! I love the little gnomes jacket, adorable! Like I always say, You are so inspiring to me and I have learned SO MUCH from you, I truly am blessed to be on this amazing Design Team! Hope your week gets better, it sounds like mine and we are having terrible cold and snow and McCade hasn't went to school all week and I wasn't able to get to an interview on Monday because of the ice and snow so we will try again on Wed. but we're expecting an ice storm tonight so may have to change the day again, that's more aggrevating than the interview, lol! (Oh and don't feel bad, I don't have all my decorating done either, lol!)
    ((Hugs)) Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  25. He is too cute!! Sorry I haven't been around lately.

    My daughter was stranded on a highway for over 30 hours until rescuers could get to her (and about 500 other stranded motorists)...so to say I've been pulling my hair out doesn't even begin to describe it.

    She's home - safe and sound now!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh Donna what a great take on the challenge, you always have the best ideas! Love this cheeky little gnome with a wreath around his neck, elegant? well he looks very smart in his houndstooth jacket! Fab project !
    Hugs
    Juliexx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Now how cute is this little gnome!!! I'm just loving him!!!

    Donna, you never fail to amaze me with your creations!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!