Monday, September 5, 2016

New Challenge at Aurora Wings


Our new challenge starts today at Aurora Wings with the theme of Fantasy. Wow, that's a pretty easy one considering all of the gorgeous Fairies, Sprites and magical creatures available in the Aurora Wings shop.  The hard part was choosing which one to use.  I finally decided on the gorgeous Enchanted Visions. I had great plans for this image, but some of them didn't work out.   I envisioned a night sky with glowing fairies.  Ummm, note to self.  Do not color the image and THEN try a background technique you've never attempted before.  Back to the drawing board where I stuck with what I knew and a softer, sweeter color palette.  The final result included a die cut frame from Spellbinders and portions of one from Memory box.  All DP's are from the Susan Winget pad from K&Company that dictated the color scheme. The gorgeous bow is from 3 different bundles from DL.Art and I've added some flat backed pearls as well.



Here's a closeup of the gorgeous Enchanted Visions.  This is an intricate image, for sure, but lends itself to many beautiful color schemes.  I've colored entirely with Copics and added some Stardust Stickles to the wings of the fairies and Diamond Glaze to her eyes and lips. I have to say I felt a real sense of accomplishment, once I was done.   



This was the hard shot to take.  I also printed the image on a transparency sheet and cut out the wings of the three bottom right fairies and attached them in the center so they would flutter above but till show the coloring and sparkle of the fairies underneath.  I couldn't quite capture the dimension in the pic without getting a glare so you'll have to take my word for it.  You can see the shine on her eyes and lips though, the sparkle underneath the transparent wings, not so much.  Although my first thought was to color this to reflect the changing Autumn hues in the garden and capture the magic of the dwindling summer days.  Though that didn't go as planned, I'm still quite pleased with the outcome.  Hydrangeas are my favorite flower any time of year.  

Please be sure to visit the Challenge Blog to be inspired by the fabulous creations by the rest of my teamies and I hope to see you join in.  

We also have a new FB challenge, All Things Autumn, that runs through the end of the month.


Here's how to keep up with all that's happening at Aurora Wings.




11 comments:

  1. Once again, reading your blog post and seeing more than one pics really helped me appreciate all that goes into your amazing project! All of the versions you mentioned would have been lovely, but I'm really in love with this one, featuring the colors of the blue hydrangea. Your delicate coloring is absolutely perfect for this intricate image, as there is just so much going on. The way you colored this keeps one looking through the image to find more and more details to appreciate. I get the feeling of a pleasant, early summer garden at twilight from this. Gently fragrant and full of magical potential! Thank you so much for this exquisite inspiration for our latest challenge at Aurora Wings, Donna! Mitzi xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow wow wow, love the pastel tones in your card and love how you layered it, so nice this work of art, love it, xxx, Marion

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you have knocked it out of the park again!!!
    Those transparent wings are stunning, I bet they look fab in real life and the hydrangea colours are just like in my garden. I don't think I have seen this image before and I love it xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Donnaaa.. another wonderful project from you.. superb colouring on this beautiful image.. love the soft purple colour choice for her.. and the way you colour her hair <3 xx ~RoRa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your colouring the girl image is absolutely gorgeous. Love all the glitter. Just beautiful. Love it. Thanks for playing along Simon Says Stamp Anything Goes Challenge. Gayatri xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a real piece of art.... and the idea with the wings is just fab. Have to remember that... I'm just sitting here and look, and look and once in a while you here a sigh.... Love the whole thing. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can imagine how spectacular this is in person with all the detail of the wings and how much work you've put into it. It's just absolutely amazing!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful, beautiful treatment of this image! Your color profile is outstanding and the cool colors enhance the serenity of her facial expression! Nice design decisions in every aspect of this creation. Thanks for Rocking with us this week at 613 Avenue Create!
    Hugz,
    Chana Malkah Harris, Owner

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow this is breathtaking. Your colours are perfect and the overall design is beautiful. An awesome project.
    Glad you dropped it onto the front porch at 613 Avenue Create.
    Hugs Sheryl DT member xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stunning card Donna thanks for joining us at ABC Challenge and good luck
    Andrea x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Donna!! How do you always create these simply gorgeous projects?? You did an incredible job with the transparent wings!! Its just awesome!! And the finished peice is gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!